- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened soymilk
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar4 cups (960 ml) whole-wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees (Gas Mark 3) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the soymilk and vinegar in a small bowl and set it aside.
- Sift the pastry flour, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Form a well in the center, and add the soured soymilk, stirring with a large spoon until the mixture forms a dough firm enough to shape into a ball.
- Place the dough on the parchment paper and form into a circle 8 inches in diameter and about 1 1/2 inches (3.5 cm) thick. Using a knife, make cuts into the bread about 1/2 inch deep. These cuts will make it easier to break the baked bread into portions.
- Bake the bread 40 to 45 minutes or until the bread forms a golden brown, firm top and bottom crust. Serve immediately or warm gently to serve later.