Sweet Potato & Mandarin Orange-Caramelized Onion Casserole
- One Large or two Medium sized Orange Sweet Potato (s), peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch disks
- One large yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 4 Tbsp vegan butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz mandarin oranges, mashed into pulpy juice
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot with cold water to cover, bring to a boil and coo until soft but not falling apart, about 25 minutes. Drain, and mash.
- Meanwhile, cook onion, vegan butter, olive oil, mandarin oranges and agave nectar in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often until onion if soft and slightly golden, about 30 minutes.
- Fold onion and liquid into the sweet potatoes.
- Transfer into a grease casserole dish, smooth and sprinkle the top with brown sugar and walnuts. (It can be prepared to this point up to 2 days in advanced. Bring back to room temperature before heating..)
- Heat in 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes, or until thoroughly warmed through and lightly browned on top.