- 2 pounds peeled carrots (I used two bags)
- 5 cups white distilled vinegar (5%)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons canning salt, (However, I used regular salt this time cause I could not find pickling salt)
- one bay leaf
- one clove
- Wash and rinse canning jars; keep hot until ready to use. Prepare lids and bands according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Wash and peel carrots well. Cut into rounds that are approximately ½-inch thick.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a large pot. Bring to a boil and boil gently 3 minutes. Add carrots and bring back to a boil.
- Then reduce heat to a simmer and heat until the carrots are half-cooked (about 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, place 1 smashed up bay leaf and 1 clove in the bottom of each jar.
- Fill hot jars with the hot carrots, leaving 1-inch headspace. Cover with hot pickling liquid, leaving ½-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed.