Butternut Squash and Quinoa Recipe
- 10 ounces butternut squash (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 400F. Cut the squash in half and scrape out the seeds and strings. Peel and cut into 1/2-inch cubes and toss with the 1 teaspoon of orange juice. Place them on a non-stick baking sheet, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, and bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse it well and allow to drain. Heat a deep, non-stick pot. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until shallots soften slightly. Add the quinoa and toast it until it has dried out and begins to exude a toasty aroma. Add the squash along with the fresh thyme and vegetable broth. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook, stirring once or twice, until all broth is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
I wish I had pine nuts available tonight, but I didn’t!~